Tuesday, June 27, 2017

It's Just Hair

Today is the day I cut my hair. I've had this appointment set for well over a month so I've had plenty of time to think about it. I want to cut my hair, certainly I'm ready for a new style. And last night, as I brushed it out after a shower, I definitely wanted it gone! But I'm sentimental and as I've been growing my hair for 3 years, it's hard not to think about all that my hair has been through with me.

2 different schools, 2 different majors, thousands of school and work days, trips to NYC, Chicago, Florida, California and Virginia Beach. Beyond that, the ends of my hair have been with me even longer, I'll bet that I've had those ends since I graduated high school and was at my first college. Hair is just...there with you during everything. It's not like a favorite shirt that might tag along a few days of the month or your backpack that you have during school hours. My hair has been there, day and night through absolutely everything. It really is kind of like cutting off a body part.

I've been "that short girl with long blond hair" for a lot of my life. I'm in a constant state of growing and cutting my hair and since it grows so fast, it's usually long. I like having long hair because in some ways it is easier. Not to brush but to throw up in a nice tidy bun or a long braid. It looks good when I don't even do anything with it because the sheer weight wards off frizz and puffiness. The last few times I've had short hair, I've worn it mainly up because I can't wear it  natural down and I've been too lazy to straighten it. This time around, I'm really going to put some effort into styling it and making it look nice. I'm also getting some long bangs that will make my overall appearance look better when I do put my hair into a ponytail or bun.

I guess you could say I'm excited but I know I'll be sad too. I'll probably cry tonight. Having my hair through everything and then just--not, is hard! I don't like saying goodbye to anything but I've gotten better at it lately. I suppose another difficult aspect of the haircut is that I've basically figured I'll never have my hair this long again, ever. I mean it's really long, down to my waist and I just don't see myself ever taking three more years to grow it out like this again. I want to maintain a style. Plus, long hair isn't very adult and I'm trying to be more of an adult and get taken more seriously. Growing up doesn't mean growing out I guess.

So goodbye to my hair. It is currently 32 inches long (well over half my height!) and I'll be chopping off about 12-14 inches of it. I'm donating it too, for the sixth time. Time for new beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment