Wednesday, May 10, 2017

3/4 Isn't Too Shabby

Many moons ago, when I was 17 to be exact, the dentist told me that all four of my wisdom teeth were impacted and had no chance of coming up. She showed me the x-ray for further proof and yes, they were laying sideways beneath my gums.

Of course, the dentist then referred me to an oral surgeon and said I needed to get them (the wisdom teeth) removed in a timely manner or risk other complications. Well, me being me, I read up on wisdom teeth extractions and found that they are often unnecessary and can cause other problems. So I never went to see that oral surgeon.

Later that year, when I was 18 and moving into my dorm room, I noticed that my bottom left wisdom tooth was starting to poke through. It took a looong time to come all the way in but when it did, it was a completely normal tooth. I brought this up to my dentist and she still maintained that the other three were impacted and needed to be removed. Once again, I didn't heed her advice.

Two years later, when I was 20 and on vacation in NYC, my top left wisdom tooth all of a sudden came down, rather quickly! It was all the way in by the time I returned home. Another completely normal tooth. Again, I noted this to the dentist but over the next two years she was insistent that the other two needed to come out.

Yeah ok.

But as time went on, my bottom right tooth poked up just a tiny bit and stayed there and the top right one never did anything. Until...

Just before my 23rd birthday, my TOP right tooth came through my gums and is now in the process of coming up. It seems to be going slowly like the first one but definitely right side up.

Now, I do actually think that the bottom right is impacted for good but I'll give it a little time.  Moral of the story, do not get your wisdom teeth out in high school unless they are actually causing you issues right then. I have talked to a lot of people whose teeth came in when they were in their mid-twenties, just give them time! Dentists just want to pull and cut and make commission off of referrals to surgeons, at least mine does. Just wait it out. If I'd listened at 17 and gotten the extraction it would have been for nothing and I would have missed out on 3 extra teeth! I'm glad I did my research and didn't listen.

I'm wiser for it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment