Monday, November 21, 2016

I'm Ted Mosby

As I've mentioned before, I'm watching How I Met Your Mother for the first time on Netflix. I didn't love it at first but now I do. I'm currently on season nine and excited to see how everything will play out.

The character of Ted is a hopeless romantic who believes in big moments and destiny and is waiting (not so) patiently for the woman he is meant to marry. At the end of season eight he confesses to another character that he tired of waiting around and tired of believing and hoping that each girl he meets might be the one. He's grown cynical and so have I.

I know I"m still young but there was a time when I truly wondered if each new guy I met would be "the one". I would go so far as imagining myself married to people I barely knew to see if they made a good fit. I envisioned bit moments, sparks flying, the whole thing. Now I don't do that anymore. I don't let my mind wander, I don't even daydream much anymore. That part makes me sad.

I used to have an elaborate daydream, basically a mind palace, of my future home, my future kids, my future husband, my wedding. Now it makes me to sad to visit those figments because I'm so worried and doubtful that they'll ever even come true.

So I'm like Ted. But let's not forget, he does meet "the mother" and he does get married and have kids. It happens for him when he's given up, when he least expects it.

And that's the hope I have for myself. Maybe someday this blog will be my own version of "How I Met Your Father"

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment