Sunday, October 9, 2016

He Needs to Be Enough

I wrote last week about feeling undesirable and lame and sad about the fact that all of my friends are in relationships and I am not.

Unfortunately, I've been dwelling on this a lot in the past seven days. It's hard to have such a strong desire for something and watch everyone around you have that desire fulfilled. The bottom line is that comparison is the work of the devil.

I'm serious. It makes you doubt not only yourself, but the plans God has for you. The truth is that God needs to be enough for me to be happy. If I was imprisoned in a cinder block cell with nothing at all, He would need to be enough. God is so much more awesome than anything this world has to offer. It isn't wrong to long for marriage and a family and a good job etc. but I cannot let my happiness depend on it.

If I'm constantly thinking, "I"ll be happy when..." I'm not focusing on the present and all of the things that are going well and good. People who are always waiting for that next thing are never really content in the season of life that God has them in.

This is a challenging season of life for sure. But it doesn't have to be bad. I don't have to let longing and envy consume me because it will make me bitter. And as my pastor put it today, bitterness is an imprisonment of the heart.

God needs to be enough. Because, well, He IS enough!
-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment