Wednesday, July 27, 2016

July Book Review: Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

I believe there is a post from a few years back, where I declare my love for the movie adaption of this book. I don't know why it took me so long to read this book but I didn't pick it up until last year.

The strength of this novel is it's characters, each one unique and different and poignant. The narrator, seventeen year old pregnant Novalee Nation is dumped at a Wal-Mart by her boyfriend Willie Jack. Th story follows both characters (mostly Novalee with Willie Jack chapters here and there) through the years as they travel down very different roads. Novalee is taken in by a town she grow to call home and it's people who she grows to love. Willie Jack flirts with the law and success.

Letts' writing is also quite nice. It's not amazing but as I've said, not every book's high point has to be the writing. Letts' has some beautiful, poetic moments here and there but there are also a few bits that seem to tow the line of too abstract and trying a bit too hard.

Don't be deterred though, this book is absolutely worth reading. It's a powerful story that is told well and you, as I have, will fall in love with Novalee and the cast of characters that she is surrounded by.

Also, the movie is top notch! Not a perfect book-to-movie adaptation and although I do miss a few things that were lost from page to screen, it's a great movie. Young Natalie Portman plays the lead role PERFECTLY.

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment