Monday, May 30, 2016

May Book Review: Wonder by RJ Palacio

 

The first time I read this book was almost exactly three years ago. M had found out about it from somewhere and bought it. I think it took me less than two days to finish.

The bare bones synopsis of the book is as follows:

Auggie, a ten year old boy with severe facial deformations, is about to go to school for the first time in his life. The book follows him through the whole nine month period of his fifth grade year. There are five other narrators that have smaller sections in the book, people affected by Auggie so to speak.

Ok so going off of that last bit, Palacio does an amazing job of crafting a unique voice for each character as well as a personal writing style. Let me just go on and say it outright: this book is fantastic. It's wonderfully written and so captivating. It's technically a kids book, a middle grade level but don't be deterred, this book is for everyone. I adore the writing style and the dialogue is simply fantastic.

This book will make you laugh, it will surely make you cry and let me tell you, when you are finished-you'll want to go right back to page one and start over.

Apparently, they're making it into a movie so I wanted to quickly get this review done before people start thinking that maybe they could just skip the book and see the film instead-don't! Please read it!

Great book. Great message. Great writing. Great characters. Just a great book! Ha. I'm sorry this review is so fanatic and not at all academic but I don't have one single bad thing to say about this book. Not one.

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment