Sunday, February 14, 2016

Oh the Woes of Poetry

Stupid me.

I took a "studies in poetry" class this semester. Why? Because I knew and liked the professor and I wanted to go a little outside my box. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I really dislike poetry, I mean severely sometimes. Old stuff is fine and well, I do have some affection for Plath and Frost but I realllllly don't like the modern stuff. And guess what the focus of the class is? Modern stuff! Which I didn't know until the first day. I should have dropped right away but stupidly didn't. Now I'm paying the price. We have our first take home exam due on Wednesday and holy smokes, it's a doosy.

I am so out of my element. You see, we aren't just merely talking about poetry, we're talking about talking about poetry. Does your brain hurt? Mine does. It's so freaking abstract. And I hate abstract. Truly.

So yeah, it sucks. And I'm scared I'll mess up my GPA with it is I'm doing my darndest to excel.

But if only I hadn't been so stupid (getting that yet) as to take this dumb class! I could have just done cannonicity instead. But noooo.

I guess I'm getting what I deserve.
-G-

Ps. why can't all poems be like "Nothing Gold Can Stay"? Because I LOVE that one.

Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold
Her early leaf's a flower
But only so an hour
Then leaf subsides to leaf
So Eden sank to greif
And dawn turns into day
Nothing gold can stay

No comments:

Post a Comment