Saturday, January 30, 2016

January Book Review: My Sister's Keeper

 So if you haven't been to my book page lately, I'll fill you in. This year I'm going to be reading just one new book a month and the rest of the time, I get to reread my old favorites! Yay for that becacuse I love rereading so very much. And, each month I'm going to review a book I reread, because the more you read it the better you know it, right?


So for January, I'm going way back to a book and author I discovered when I was just 14 years old. Let me tell you, this book completely captivated me upon first reading. Here's what it's about: Anna Fitzgerald is the main character of sorts and she is a 13 year old girl who was born to be a genetic match to her cancer stricken sister Kate. She's underwent numerous procedures to help cure her sister and is now currently being ask to give her kidney. But Anna doesn't want to do that, for reasons the reader won't discover until the end of the book. She hires a lawyer and starts a lawsuit that throws the whole family of kilter.

The book switches around to several different narrators in addition to Anna, you have the steadiness of Brian, the dad, the harrowing flashbacks of Sara, the mom, angry older brother Jesse, mysterious lawyer Campbell and Julia, the guardian ad litem who has a past. 

Now onto the review.

Ok, so I've read a lot of Jodi Picoult since I was 14 and read this book and I have to say, I think this is one of her best. If you know anything about this author, it's probably that she's famous for twist endings that no one expects. This book definitely has that but it works better with the plot than some of her others where it feels thrown in and expected. The ending is sad, it's true, but it's also very beautiful and one of the merits of the book I think. As far as the writing, I don't think it's as good as I once did but it's not bad. There are just a lot of metaphors, a lot of comparisons, a lot of emotion that is sort of flowery in detail. Basically, nothing is ever just stated outright without embellishment. And that can be fine sometimes but all of the time it does get to be a bit much.

That being said, I think Picoult does an amazing job with the flashback narrations of Sara. You can tell she did a ton of research about what cancer treatment for kids looks like and she wrote about it in such a hauntingly realistic way. I also enjoyed Anna's parts and Anna's character in general becuase she felt like a very authentic 13 year old girl. Julia's were dull to me and almost unneeded and Brian's had to many facts in it that were attempting to be related to the story but sort of fell flat. Campbell's parts were good though, I like a little ere of mystery. And Jesse was very well written.

Finally, as strong as the epilogue is, the little opening italicized scene still confuses me. If you know whose point of view it's from and what exactly is going on, please let me know because it's puzzled me for years. I know it's either Kate or Anna talking but it doesn't make much sense for either of them. Oh well.

Overall, this really is a good book that tackles a lot of provocative subject matter. It definitely makes you think and it makes you feel real emotions, not just cheap tricks to make you cry. And don't see the movie, it is BAD and the ending is completely different from the book.

Rating: 8.7/10 

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment