Thursday, June 11, 2015

Thursday Recipe

This summer, my family has a weekly rotation going so that each night (minus weekends) one of us makes dinner. My night is Thursday so I thought it would be fun if I shared the recipes I used. I really like to cook so I've been having a lot of fun with it. Today was only my second week (I'll try and post what I made the first week sometime soon) and I went with this:

Quick Chickpea and Summer Vegetable Stew (from myrecipes.com)
Cook Time: 26 Minutes
Serves 4-6

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped 
2 small carrots, cut into coins 
1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
2 small zucchini, cut into coins
1 small yellow squash, cut into coins
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 bunch (6 oz.) thin asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-in. pieces
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves 

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook onion until translucent but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add carrots and cook until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Stir in broth, chickpeas, squashes, corn, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, then stir in tomatoes and asparagus and cook until squashes are tender but not mushy, about 3 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and garnish with basil.

It came out pretty good and despite the title, I didn't end up using any chickpeas. I like them but my family finds them a bit heavy and filling so I skipped them and made the main focus the vegetables. If you don't like a lot of salty flavor (I don't) definitely take the recipe's advice and use low sodium broth. Also, be prepared to spend about 30 minutes chopping! I also doubled it because I wanted left overs for myself and my parents to take to work tomorrow and I was left with A LOT. The serving sizes are generous.

And without further ado, a picture of my finished product!
I would highly recommend this recipe if you are looking for an easy, wholesome, healthy meal!
Find the whole recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment