Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Flashback Series: Senior Project

I had planned on doing Senior Project for most of my high school. Everyone who has good enough grades has the opportunity to make arrangements to go and shadow a career for the last three 1/2 weeks of the final semester. There is a lot of paperwork involved, including a proposal and numerous signatures to track down. But, anyone participating is exempt from final exams, so it's totally worth it.

My senior project was the same as a lot of other girls. Go shadow a favorite elementary or middle school teacher in their classroom. I chose my old third grade teacher who now taught fifth grade. I was pretty nervous about the class being a little older. Would the kids like me? Make fun of me? I had no idea what to expect.

Thankfully, I didn't need to be worried. The first day was a little stressful because the class as testing and I didn't really know what to do with myself. After that, I had all sorts of things to keep me busy. I made copies, entered grades, led reading groups, tested kids, rolled coins from fundraisers., tracked down permission slips. Leading the girls reading group was definitely my favorite thing to do. The group I had were all really sweet and seemed to like me a lot. I even wen to the talent show to watch them perform.

Because I was in a post-secondary medical program, I only did senior search for three hours in the morning (as opposed to the whole day) because there was one class I still had to attend back at the high school. I would listen to my Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants audio book as I shuttled from school to school, often stopping at Target to pick up L who was shadowing a pharmacist. 

It was such a nice, simple time. And to think I was so stressed! To get our final "grade" for our projects, we had to make a display board and present our journal entries to a committee. I chose a scholastic green trifold board and used the kids pictures as a boarder. It came out really nice and I was happy to put on one of my favorite sun dresses to present it. Overall, I had a really great experience!

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment