Monday, January 26, 2015

Memory Monday

A memory that I revisit often is from the end of my Junior year in high school. It was my final exam week, the day before the last day of school. I'd gotten out early and planned to spend my free time with Claire and M.

We went to a nearby outdoor shopping center and got some frozen yogurt. The day was so beautiful, warm and sunny and clear blue sky. We sat outside and talked until M choked. M has this sort of issue where she'll choke on liquids from time to time and though it's not funny...it also sort of is. The face she makes is so comical that all I can do sis laugh when it happens (I know, I'm a big jerk). ON this day, I was laughing so hard that I peed my pants (also something that happens...ahem, from time to time). So here was Claire, sitting mortified at an outdoor table while one of us was choking and spitting up across the table and the other was creating a puddle beneath her seat!! Luckily, no one was around so I think we went unnoticed but Claire was pretty mortified. We didn't even leave after the chaos had been resolved and I had to let the sun dry my pants (TMI? Probably.).

We had to be home by a certain time because that evening my medical class at school was having an end of the year surprise dinner for our teacher. It was being held at a restaurant literally right up the street from my house so I didn't have to go far but I did need to change my clothes ;). I decided to wear this bright orange/red fiesta style sun dress that Claire approved. I took a shower and braided my hair to the side. I then bid farewell to Claire and drove to pick up L. The dinner was so much fun, we totally pulled off the surprise and had a great time.

After I dropped L off, I got home to some sort of drama that had been unfolding. Apparently, E was mad because she didn't get to go get ice cream with us earlier since she'd been in school and now my parents were going to appease her and take her. M went with them while I elected to stay home and study for my last exam the next day: Anatomy and Physiology. I was a really lazy student that year and I needed to do well on the test but I'd hardly studied. I went up in my parents room for a quiet calm environment. I made flashcards and went through them methodically to the quiet hum of the ceiling fan. It was so peaceful and I can remember the feeling of the information finally clicking in my head, I felt capable for once. I felt that I could do well if I just put in the effort. It was so peaceful, laying in my fiesta dress, the last light of the day glowing through the window. I think about it often.

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment