Saturday, December 27, 2014

2 Turtle Doves

Looking back on Christmas Eve, I think it was one of the best that I've had in awhile. I had a small scare in the wee hours of the morning where I thought I was seriously going to get sick again but I think I just ate too late the night before.

Needless to say I was up early that morning and I kept my mom company while she got ready for work and as the rest of my family trickled downstairs I began to feel better. After my mom left we put Titanic on (we'd long decided to watch it on Christmas Eve). It's not exactly a holiday movie but for some reason it feels that way to us. We hadn't actually seen it all the way through in about 3 years so it was great fun and a good time killer. As tradition had it we made those Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Somehow, M screwed them up and they came out more as lumps than rolls. They were still tasty though so all was well.

After the movie, I went and took a shower and finished reading some Christmas books. Then I wrapped some last minute gifts and before we knew it, it was time to pick up my mom from work. Once we got home it was time to start getting ready for our church service. I pulled together an outfit last minute that was really quite nice. M had given me her present early in order to aide my wardrobe crisis so I got to wear my new vegan leather circle skirt and a white lace top. We were nearly late for church but made it just in time to take our usual seats. They had the kids come up front and be like a litle audience for the story of Jesus's birth. It was cute. To end, the whole congregation lights candles and we sing Silent Night. I think it's one of my favorite parts of Christmas to look around and see the flickering fire light and hear one of my favorite carols.

We had to briefly stop home before heading to my cousins house, I helped my dad wrap a last minute switch of gifts and then off we went. For the past three years we've been going to my aunts on Christmas Eve but that wasn't to be this year. I was really hooping that we could go back to being at my grandpa's house but then health issues came up so my cousin B offered to host at her big new house. I didn't know what to expect (I'd only been there once, right after they moved in) but it was really cozy and nice. I ate right away because I was super hungry and then there was a minor incident where I spilled some red wine on E, the carpet and the table cloth. Not my finest moment. When that was taken care of we got to mingle and relax before letting the kids (there are 4 kids, 4 and under) open gifts. It was fun to watch. Then it was time for the adult gift exchange where I didn't want anything at all but my own gift that I brought. I wound up with a pancake maker and a flashlight...yeah I was a little displeased but it's the thought that counts.

We stayed and talked for about an hour more before heading home around 11. Once at our own house we chilled by the tree before heading off to bed. M and I talked for awhile before falling asleep and before we knew it, it was Christmas morning!! Stay tuned!
-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment