Friday, November 21, 2014

Why I (choose to) Write Part 4

So, here we go. I've changed my major again...I know right? This time. I swear it's. For. Real. I've finally decided to study what I love and study what I'm good at. I'm going to be an English major with focus on creative writing. Honestly, I'm really happy. I've spent over two years trying to figure out what to do, trying to figure out all of these logistics. At the end of the day, I want to study the craft that I'm passionate about. I know people will scoff at this, and I get it. It's not as though I'm going to graduate and go right into a comfy career. Right now, it's not about that for me. And I've said it before, it's never been about having this high powered, high paying job. I'd rather do something I love and figure out the rest as it comes. Ideally (and I say this VERY ideally seeing as it's easier said than done), I would get married and stay home and raise my kids while writing on the side. Before that happens I may pursue some other options after graduating to make sure I'm getting a steady income.

I love writing. I mean I really love it. I've been writing since I learned how and nothing has brought me more joy. Since taking this Creative Writing class this semester, I've realized that I am truly good at it. From reading this blog, you might be scratching your head. I know my posts are hardly polished but this is a place where I write freely and don't edit or try and figure out a "better way to put it." My real passion is fiction writing anyway. God gave me this gift, something I'm talented in and that I love to do. I'm not going to waste it for some other job that I feel like I should be doing. I want to do this because I want to, not because I feel obligated. I know relatives will be skeptical. Goodness knows I've been fielding questions about my major decision for three years. I've gotten so tired of answering them! For so long my answer was ever changing and finally became, "I don't know." Now I do know and I'm not going to apologize for finally doing what I should have done all along. I'm a writer and I want to write.

So that's it, that's my final answer.
-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment