Monday, August 11, 2014

The Hope that Endures

These past few weeks, my community has been shaken with some tragic circumstances regarding a school employee who took his own life. Now, just hours ago the news broke that Robin Williams has apparently done the same thing.

Depression and mental illness are real diseases that I fully recognize the severity of. In the case of this man from my community, he a lot going on in his life that left him feeling hopeless. I don't know exactly what drove Williams to his death but many have said he was battling some serious demons. Perhaps medication could help, perhaps therapy but in the end, the only thing that can truly save our lives, that can truly save our souls is Jesus Christ. I know it isn't what society wants to hear right now, but it is THE truth.

Trust me, I am no stranger to feeling hopeless and out of control in my life, in fact I'm currently going through a not so great time but I have hope in God's plan for my life. I have hope that He uses everything for good. If I didn't have that hope...well I honestly don't know where I would be. I truly don't know how people can go through trials and struggles without some sort of faith, I couldn't do it, that is fact. I go through my life knowing that God is in control, knowing that He will not leave or forsake me. I wish that everyone could have this hope, I wish that these two men could have known God in a deep and personal way and allowed that hope to pull them from their darkest places.

Earthly suffering will happen, it is guaranteed to happen. It is how we deal with it that is the test, no one said life was easy, God never said that. But He did promise to walk us through any hardship we may face, He promised to forgive us our sins and He promises an awesome Heaven to all who believe in Him. What greater hope than that of one day spending eternity in paradise with our God? It is a hope that lasts, it is a hope that endures.

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment