Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Claire and Grace Take on Tires, Georgia and Sheep

Last week Claire's mom Mary (who is my dads cousin) wanted to know if I could join her on the drive to go get Claire from school for spring break yestreday. Unfortunately, I was scheduled to work 7-3:30. I was really bummed because, what's more fun than a 2 hour drive with your best friend? So I headed into work with a heavy heart and low and behold, it was such a slow day that they sent me home at 11 so I was able to go!!!

The ride there was super smooth and when we arrived at the dorm building I waited in the car since Claire didn't know I was coming. When she came out and saw me she was SO excited and so was I. We both road in the back seat together. Mary wanted to stop at a big furniture store in the area before heading home so off we went. We got chocolate bars and some other household items there and returned to the car. Claire told us about the workshop she'd attended over the weekend at Purdue. Claire is studying to be a set designer and wants to design TV sets or Circ de Sole shows and I'm telling you, that girl is going somewhere. I know it with all me heart. She has the drive an the talent and she can do anything if she puts her mind to it.

Anyway, we were driving alone, about 45 minutes from home when a truck driver next to us beeped a few times and motioned that our tire was flat. Mary didn't believe it but Claire convinced her to pull over just to be safe, and sure enough, the left back tire was flat. We considered changing it ourselves, or pumping it up but in the end we called AAA and waited. We talked about names we liked, accents and we laughed a lot. I shared my snacks and even my water (a true rarity). The AAA man came and changed the tire in no time and we were on the road again. We did make miss one exit but other than that, everything was smooth. I got home at 8:40, tired but so happy to have spent the day with my best friend.

Today Mary was watching El who we haven't seen in awhile so M and I met them and Claire for breakfast and then went to a farm where we got to see baby sheep, lambs and pigs. They were so cute! Some of them had just been born. Clarie and I bonded with a lone sheep we named Maria. I rode back with Claire and we talked about the plantation she wants to own in the Georgia one day as her summer home. We'll make pies and have a peach orchard where we'll watch the sun rise and set. We'll drink ice tea out of mason jars and catch fireflies at night. I'll bring my kids there during the summers and we'll host 4th of July parties. I know it sounds far fetched but I wholeheartedly believe that one day Claire and I will be sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch of a sprawling house drinking lemonade and laughing together.

It was such a fun and simple day. I was bummed that I wouldn't be going on a vacation or trip over spring break but I've been having a great time just hanging out with the people I love and doing things that don't cost much at all!

I love you Claire, you're my best friend in the entire world!
-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment