Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Tribute

Children's author Barbara Park died over the weekend.

Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business was the first book I really read on my own and enjoyed. I thought it was hilarious (and still do) and went on to read and own every book in the series by the time I was in 3rd grade.The Junie B. Jones series was really a work of art because Barbara park was so able to write from the view pint of a 6 year old all while be totally believable and incredibly funny. Here are some of my favorites of the series:


Park didn't just write these books though, she also penned one of the greatest children's books of all time, in my opinion:
 Mick Harte Was Here, addresses death head on and through the eyes of a 13 year old girl. It is funny, heart breaking and deeply moving. I first read it in 4th grade and was absolutely taken with the story of Phoebe and her brother Mick. I recently reread it and the last couple lines still give me chills.

Thank you Mrs. Park for writing my childhood and for doing it with such passion and honesty tha isn't seen a lot in children's literature.

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment