Sunday, August 19, 2012

This Title Has Five Words

It's this counting thing.

When I say talk or someone else says something or if I am listening to the radio or watching TV I count the words that they (or myself) say. I count them on my fingers and I'll rephrase things so that the sentence ends up ending on my pinky finer.

Example (try counting on your fingers): If someone said "We went to the store today" it ends on my thumb instead of perfectly on the pinky. So I'll rephrase in my head "We stopped at the store". There, five perfect words, ending right on the mark. If everything were a multiple of five then it would always work out.

Now that you understand what I'm dealing with you can obviously see that it is somewhat of an obsession. I've dealt with it before actually, when I was in Elementary school. It ended up going away but this summer I started doing it again. I'll chalk it up to my stress about college but it really is a sort of problem. I don't think I have OCD but I've definitely had certain tenancies over the years.

I'm writing about this because I want to hold myself accountable to the fact that I want to stop this counting nonsense. I'm going to pray on it and get out of my own way! I know I can stop if I try, I just need to put my mind to it.

-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment